“Serve with seasonal veg for the perfect family dinner! ”
- 2 lemons
- 500 g Jersey Royals
- ½ a bunch of fresh tarragon , (15g)
- 1 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley , (30g)
- 8 free-range chicken thighs , bone in, skin on, from sustainable sources
- 6 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 400 ml organic chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 75 g watercress
- 5 sheets of filo pastry
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5.
- Halve the lemons, quarter the Jersey Royals, then pick and finely chop the tarragon and parsley.
- Put the chicken, unpeeled garlic cloves, lemon and potatoes in a large baking tray, drizzle with oil, season with sea salt and black pepper, then toss together.
- Pop in the oven for 45 minutes, or until golden, crispy and cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan until bubbling. Add the flour and stir for 1 to 2 minutes to form a paste, then slowly pour in the stock, whisking until thickened. Add the mustard, then season.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and reserve the skin and discard any gristle. Shred the meat, discarding the bones.
- Squeeze the garlic from its skins back into the roasting tray and squeeze over all the juice from the lemons and toss well.
- Pour over the thickened stock and add the herbs and watercress. Check the seasoning, then finely chop the chicken skins and sprinkle over the filling.
- Lay out sheets of filo on a clean surface and cut each one in half. Lightly scrunch up and place on top of the pie filling, brushing with a little oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until crispy and golden, then serve with a crisp green salad.
Source: Jamie Oliver