“These beautifully glazed carrots make the perfect side to any roast dinner. ”
- 1 kg small carrots , heirloom if you can get them
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dripping or goose fat , (optional)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- ½ a bunch of fresh thyme
- 2 clementines
- 2 tablespoons runny honey or soft brown sugar
- Trim most of the leafy green stalks off the carrots, then peel them.
- Melt the butter and dripping or goose fat (if using) in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Crush the unpeeled garlic with the flat side of your knife, then add to the pan turning after 1 minute.
- Pick and sprinkle in the thyme sprigs, squeeze over the clementine juice, then add the honey or sugar and a splash of water.
- Add the carrots in a single layer, season with sea salt and black pepper, the jiggle the pan to coat the carrots. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the lid, then cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the glaze has reduced, and the carrots are sticky and caramelised, turning often. Serve straightaway, or reheat when needed.
Source: Jamie Oliver