“If you ask me, we just don’t use chickpeas in enough stuff – try this salad and you’ll be converted ”
- 1 small red onion , peeled
- 1-2 fresh red chillies , deseeded
- 2 handfuls ripe red or yellow tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 410 g tinned chickpeas , drained, or around 4 large handfuls of soaked and cooked chickpeas
- 1 handful fresh mint , chopped
- 1 handful fresh green or purple basil , finely ripped
- 100 g feta cheese
- First of all, finely slice your red onion. Once that’s done, finely slice your chillies then roughly chop your tomatoes, mixing them in with the onion and chillies. Scrape all of this, and the juice, into a bowl and dress with the juice of half a lemon and 3 tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste. Heat the chickpeas in a pan, then add 90 per cent of them to the bowl. Mush up the remaining chickpeas and add these as well – they will give a nice creamy consistency. Allow to marinate for a little while and serve at room temperature.
- Just as you’re ready to serve, give the salad a final dress with the fresh mint and basil. Taste one last time for seasoning – you may want to add the juice from your remaining lemon half at this point. Place on a nice serving dish and crumble over the feta cheese.
Source: Jamie Oliver