“A crispy, spiced roast chicken recipe with a big, bold salsa and tasty potato wedges. ”
- 1.3 kg free-range chicken
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 4 ripe mixed-colour tomatoes
- 6 fresh mixed-colour chillies
- red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- SWEET POTATO WEDGES
- 750 g sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fine semolina
- JALAPEÑO SALSA
- 1 x 200 g jar of pickled jalapeños
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the chicken in half along the backbone.
- Pick the thyme leaves into a pestle and mortar, peel and add 1 garlic clove, then add the paprika and a pinch of sea salt. Bash to a paste, then muddle in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken, making sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Place a large griddle pan over a high heat.
- Quarter the unpeeled onions and halve any larger tomatoes, then place on the hot griddle with the chillies and the remaining unpeeled garlic cloves. Grill for 5 to 10 minutes, or until charred all over, turning regularly.
- Remove the garlic skins and peel the onions, then add all the vegetables to a food processor with a splash of red wine vinegar and a good lug of extra virgin olive oil. Blitz until smooth, then add a splash of water to loosen, if needed. Season to taste.
- Return the griddle pan to a high heat, add the marinated chicken and sear all over for 8 to 10 minutes, turning regularly. Transfer to a roasting tray, then pop in the hot oven for 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cut the sweet potatoes into rough 2cm wedges. Toss with the paprika, semolina, a small pinch of salt and black pepper and a lug of olive oil.
- Spread the wedges out on 2 large baking trays, then place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender and crisp.
- To make the jalapeño salsa, drain and add the jalapeños to a food processor with a splash of the pickling juice. Tear in the coriander (stalks and all) and add a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Blitz well until smooth.
- Serve the roast chicken with your piri piri sauce, sweet potato wedges and a little jalapeño salsa.
Source: Jamie Oliver