- 200 g stale ciabatta loaf
- 600 g ripe mixed tomatoes, , roughly chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful small capers , drained
- 1 small red onion , peeled and very finely sliced
- 280 g jarred red peppers , drained and roughly chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets in oil , drained and finely sliced (optional)
- red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- a bunch of fresh basil
- Tear the ciabatta into rough 3cm pieces and place on a tray. Leave aside in a warm place for around 30 minutes – this helps to dry it out.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rinse the capers, squeezing out any excess liquid and add to the bowl, along with the onion, peppers, ciabatta and anchovies, if using. Toss the mixture together with your hands, then stir in 2 tablespoons of vinegar and about 3 times as much extra virgin olive oil. Taste and add a little more salt, pepper, vinegar or oil, if needed.
- Tear in the basil leaves, stir together and serve. Delicious with barbecued meats or roast chicken.
Source: Jamie Oliver