“The classic combo of braised red cabbage and smoky bacon with juicy apple is an absolute winner ”
- 1 onion
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 eating apples
- 2 rashers of higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 150 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 small knob of unsalted butter
- Peel and slice the onion. Click off and discard any tatty outer leaves from the cabbage, then remove the core and chop into irregular chunks.
- Peel the apples, then chop into 2.5cm pieces, and pick and finely chop the parsley leaves. Finely slice the bacon.
- Drizzle a good lug of oil into a pan over a medium heat, add the bacon, then bash and add the fennel seeds and cook until golden.
- Add the onion, cover, and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and sticky.
- Scatter in the apple and cabbage, season with sea salt, black pepper and the vinegar, then stir well.
- Pop the lid back on, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 1 hour, or until gorgeously sticky and sweet, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop into a serving dish, pop the butter on top and sprinkle over the parsley, then serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver