“Sticky, glazed and delicious, this BBQ chicken is an absolute showstopper ”
- 4 free-range chicken thighs , skin on, bone in
- 4 free-range chicken drumsticks , skin on, bone in
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 heaped teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 heaped teaspoon golden caster sugar
- 1 level teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- BBQ SAUCE
- 200 g light soft brown sugar
- 200 g tomato ketchup
- 200 ml fresh unsweetened apple juice
- 100 ml bourbon whisky
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 heaped teaspoons English mustard
- 2 oranges , juice of
- a few splashes of chipotle Tabasco
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- YOU WILL NEED
- a handful of wood chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- To make the rub, bash all of the ingredients in a pestle and mortar until fine. Massage the rub all over the chicken, then place into a low-sided roasting tray. Place in the hot oven for around 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- To make the BBQ sauce, place all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan over a high heat. Whisk well to combine, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it’s sticky and coats the back of a spoon.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and reduce the temperature to 110°C/225°F/gas ¼.
- Take a piece of chicken and dunk it into the BBQ sauce. Using a slotted spoon, remove to a wire baking rack placed over a roasting tray (this will help the smoke to permeate the chicken as it cooks).
- Return to the middle shelf of the oven for around 10 minutes, or until turning lovely and sticky.
- Place the wood chips into an old wire sieve (the sieve will help the smoke to distribute evenly around the oven) and carefully light with a match or over a gas hob. Place the sieve into another roasting tray and pop in the bottom of the oven – this will add an incredible dimension of smokiness to the chicken.
- After around 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and dip each piece into the BBQ sauce once more. Return it to the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until sticky, glazed and delicious. Serve with sliced chilli scattered on top.
Source: Jamie Oliver