- 2 large free-range egg yolks
- 150 g crème fraîche
- 1 level teaspoon English mustard powder
- 100 g freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons Cheeky chilli-pepper chutney , or shop-bought chilli jam, to taste
- 4 x 2 cm thick slices of good-quality bread , (use sourdough or country style)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat your grill and get it nice and hot.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the crème fraîche and mustard powder. Stir in the cheese and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Now, I’m rather hoping you’ve had a go at making my Cheeky chilli-pepper chutney, but if you haven’t then you can cheat by using a good shop-bought version, or simply chop up a little fresh chilli, to your taste.
- Lightly toast your slices of bread on both sides. Smear a good tablespoon of your chutney on to each slice, right to the edge, followed by a quarter of your rarebit mixture. By spreading it right to the edge, the crust won’t burn.
- Grill until melted and bubbling. Divide on to plates. With a knife, criss-cross the topping and drizzle with Worcestershire sauce.
Source: Jamie Oliver