“Let the oven do all the hard work with this simple chicken traybake recipe. ”
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6 free-range chicken thighs , skin off, bone out
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ a bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place them in a large baking dish or roasting tray (roughly 25cm x 30cm). Peel the onions and cut into large wedges, then deseed and roughly chop the peppers. Add all these to the tray along with the chicken thighs.
- Squash the unpeeled garlic cloves with the back of your knife and add to the tray, then pick over the thyme leaves and sprinkle over the paprika.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil, the balsamic and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Toss everything together really well to coat, then spread across the tray, making sure the chicken isn’t covered by the vegetables.
- Roast for around 1 hour, or until the chicken is golden and cooked through, turning and basting it a couple of times during cooking with the juices from the tray.
- Serve the traybake with a lovely green salad on the side. You could also buddy it up with a little rice, polenta or a loaf of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Roasting garlic cloves whole in their skins makes them really sweet – don’t waste that lovely soft flesh, squeeze it out and enjoy it!
Source: Jamie Oliver