“Toasting the chillies on the hob is dead easy and really gives this dressing depth and intensity ”
- 3 fresh red chillies
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ a bunch of fresh mint (15g) , leaves picked and finely chopped
- Prick the chillies with the tip of a sharp knife – this stops them popping or exploding when they are cooked. Hold your chillies, one at a time, with a pair of metal tongs in a gas flame until they’re blackened and blistered all over. If you don’t have a gas hob, pop them under a hot grill instead.
- Place the chillies in a small bowl, cover with cling film and leave for 15 minutes. This way they will steam in their own heat and the skins will peel off very easily.
- Peel the chillies, open them up and scrape out all the white seeds. Discard these, then finely chop the flesh of the chillies. Put in a mixing bowl, add the oil, lemon juice and mint, and mix well. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
Source: Jamie Oliver