“The humble toasted sandwich is transformed with super-tasty fillings and a simple salad on the side ”
- 2 slices white bread , around 1cm thick
- unsalted butter
- 15 g Comte cheese
- 15 g Westcombe or artisan Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices higher-welfare roasted ham
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 1 small eating apple
- 1 handful mixed salad leaves , such as frisse, watercress, rocket
- Lightly butter the slices of bread, then place buttered-side down on a chopping board. Slice and lay the cheeses over one piece of bread, top with the ham then place the second piece of bread on top, buttered-side up. Place into a preheated toastie maker, clamp the lid down and toast for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar and oil to a clean jam jar with a little pinch of salt and pepper, pop the lid on and shake to combine. Cut the apple into matchsticks, removing the core, then toss with the salad leaves and dressing. Serve the golden toastie with the fresh salad on the side, and tuck in.
Source: Jamie Oliver