“This little recipe transforms the humble spud into a delicious, perfect baked potato ”
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 4 baking potatoes
- 4 anchovies , or 4 rashers of higher-welfare bacon if you’re not an anchovy fan
- 1 handful fresh thyme sprigs
- Pound the garlic and butter in a pestle and mortar until smooth. Season the garlic butter well with lots of pepper but just a little salt as the anchovy or bacon will act as a seasoning too.
- Cut each potato into 8 slices. Coat the slices of each potato with the butter mix then reassemble each potato on a piece of double-thick foil. Cut the anchovies or bacon into strips and put between the slices. Do the same with the thyme sprigs and carefully wrap up the potatoes.
- Lay the wrapped spuds on the cooler coals at the sides of the barbie for 1–1½ hours, depending on their size, turning every now and then, until tender. If you’ve got a gas barbie, put the potatoes right at the back over a low heat and give them plenty of time to cook. You might even want to give them half an hour’s headstart in the oven first.
Source: Jamie Oliver