“This colourful beetroot salad makes a great little snack or starter and is really easy to rustle up. ”
- 3 ripe pears
- 4 large beetroot
- 200 g feta cheese
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 large handful of sunflower seeds , optional
- LEMON OIL DRESSING
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- Make the dressing by squeezing the lemon juice into a clean jam jar, topping up with 10 tablespoons of oil, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Secure the lid on the jar, give it a good shake, and put aside until needed.
- Peel and slice the pears and beets into fine matchsticks – if your knife skills aren’t up to speed yet, use a matchstick peeler, mandolin (use the guard!) or box grater.
- Dress the matchsticks in a little of the lemon oil dressing (keep the rest in the fridge for another day) – taste to check that the flavours are balanced, then adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Divide the salad between plates or place on a serving platter, then crumble over the creamy feta.
- Pick and roughly chop the mint leaves, then sprinkle over the salad with the sunflower seeds (if using).
Remember to wear an apron when chopping beetroot, and wash your board and hands afterwards or you’ll get red fingerprints everywhere.
Feel free to swap the pear for crunchy eating apples, if you prefer.
Source: Jamie Oliver