“This amazing filled bread is a brilliant idea for picnics – everyone loves it ”
- 1 basic bread recipe
- 5 slices quality Parma ham
- 8 large free-range eggs , boiled for 8 minutes and shelled
- 200 g cheese (a mixture of Cheddar, Fontina, Parmesan) , grated
- 2 handfuls fresh basil
- sun-dried tomatoes or plum tomatoes and olives , halved, optional
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Proceed through the basic bread recipe until Stage 5, dusting the dough with flour as you shape it into a long rectangle about 1cm/½ inch thick. This should end up being about 1 metre/39 inches long and about 18–20cm/7 or 8 inches wide.
- Along the middle of the bread, lay out your Parma ham, eggs, cheese, basil and tomatoes and olives if you’re using them. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with pepper and a pinch of salt. Pull the dough over the filling so it forms what looks like a cannelloni shape. Then what you need to do is bring one end round to the other so that they join up. Pinch and pat the two ends together firmly to form a doughnut-shaped loaf. Transfer to a flour-dusted baking tin, allow to prove for 15 minutes, dust with flour and place in your preheated oven at 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4 for 35 minutes until golden. Allow to cool and then either transport to a picnic and carve it there – if you’re lucky, it will still be a little warm in the middle – or eat there and then. Fantastic.
Source: Jamie Oliver