“The combo of sliced white cabbage, bacon and fresh thyme is a total classic and has bags of lovely flavour. ”
- 565 ml organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 rashers of higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 white cabbage
- 1 small knob of unsalted butter
- extra virgin olive oil
- Pour the stock into a large pan, then add bacon and pick in the thyme leaves. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, discard the tatty outer leaves from the cabbage, then halve and very finely slice the rest, discarding the tough core.
- Once boiling, add the cabbage to the stock, mix well, pop the lid on and boil furiously for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and continue to cook until the cabbage is a pleasure to eat, topping up with a little extra stock or water, if needed.
- Add the butter and a good lug of extra virgin olive oil, season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then serve immediately.
Source: Jamie Oliver