- 500 g red onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Marmite
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 350 g penne
- 25 g butter
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Peel and very finely slice the onions, then add to a lidded frying pan over a medium-low heat with the oil and a little sea salt.
- Turn down the heat to very low and cook for 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft, but not coloured, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the Marmite and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the flour, mixing it in thoroughly, then pour in 100ml of boiling water.
- Keep stirring until it’s simmering, then put on the lid and simmer over a very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, or until reduced, stirring often. Add a few tablespoons of hot water if it becomes too dry, and season to taste.
- Cook the penne according to the packet instructions. Drain well, add to the onion sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter until melted.
- Finely grate over the cheese, then serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver