- 40 ml pomegranate molasses
- 40 ml runny honey
- 2 satsumans , or 1 orange
- 4 mackerel fillets , from sustainable sources
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small fennel
- 4 satsumas
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- For the salad, wrap each beetroot individually in foil and roast for 40 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Leave to cool while you tend to your mackerel.
- In a large bowl, combine the pomegranate molasses, honey and 40ml of satsuma or orange juice, then season. Place the mackerel into the mixture and leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Carry on with your salad. Peel the onion, pick off and reserve the fennel fronds, then very finely slice with a mandolin if you have one (use the guard!).
- Peel and slice the satsumas into rounds, then combine with the red onion, fennel and beetroot. Set aside.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the oil, lemon juice, molasses and honey in a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Remove the mackerel fillets from the marinade and place on a baking tray lined with foil.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until it’s reduced and thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside for the glaze.
Preheat your grill to full whack and grill the fillets for 4 minutes, or until the skin turns golden and charred and the flesh firms up. Remove from the oven and brush with the glaze, then season.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Roughly chop and add the dill and serve alongside the mackerel.
Source: Jamie Oliver