“This roast pork pizza topping pushes all the right buttons – a bit of extra effort, but so worth it ”
- For the pork
- 1 kg higher-welfare pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- For each pizza topping
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 50 g Taleggio sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 small handful rocket
- ½ lemon , juice of
- When it comes to the meat, 1kg/2lb 3oz of pork shoulder should give you enough pork to top about 10 pizzas. Although the rest of the ingredients are for one topping, there is no point in cooking less pork than this – you can use any leftovers in sandwiches. This is also a great way to use up leftovers from a roast pork joint.
- Preheat your oven to 170ºC/325ºF/gas 3. Score the pork shoulder. Bash the fennel seeds and rub them over the pork, then season and rub with olive oil. Roast in the preheated oven for at least 4 hours, until the meat is tender and shreds easily. When cool, shred up using a fork or your hands. Dress the meat with a little of the cooking juices – it will have almost the texture of a confit of duck.
- Smear the tomato sauce thinly over the pizza base and scatter over a small handful of your roasted pork and some small pieces of Taleggio. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves, drizzle with olive oil and cook until crisp and golden. Dress the rocket with a tiny bit of lemon juice, scatter over the pizza and serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver