“If you’ve got a bit of leftover chicken, veg and stuffing around at Christmas, this salad is perfect. ”
- 1 butternut squash , (1.2kg)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 pinch of ground cumin
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small ciabatta
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 soft round lettuce
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 2 handfuls of free-range roast chicken
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley , (15g)
- leftover stuffing
- For this recipe, you will need any leftover stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Halve the butternut squash lengthways, then scrape out and reserve the seeds. Cut the squash into wedges and spread out on a baking tray, skin-side down.
- Bash up the coriander seeds and dried chilli in a pestle and mortar, then stir in the oregano and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the squash with a good lug of olive oil then sprinkle over your crushed spices. Pop in the oven to roast for 45 minutes until soft and slightly caramelised.
- Drain the chickpeas and leave to dry on kitchen paper. Wash the reserved squash seeds and pat dry.
- Toss the chickpeas and seeds together in a bowl with a lug of olive oil, a little salt and pepper and a good pinch of cumin.
- Drizzle a lug of olive oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the seeds and chickpeas and cook for a few minutes, or until golden, tossing frequently. Leave to cool.
- For the dressing, squeeze the lemon juice into a jam jar, top up with the same amount of extra virgin olive oil, then season with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Secure the lid and give it a good shake.
- Place a griddle pan over a medium heat. Cut the ciabatta into 2.5cm slices and toast on the griddle until golden.
- Halve the garlic clove, then rub the ciabatta all over with the cut side. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, then spread over the leftover stuffing.
- Shred the chicken, then place into a large bowl. Trim and roughly slice the lettuce, then add to the bowl with the rocket and most of the seeds and chickpeas.
- Chop or tear the roasted squash into nice chunks, add these to the bowl and drizzle over the dressing. Toss gently then transfer to a large platter. Scatter over the remaining seeds and chickpeas.
- Drizzle the ciabatta with a little more extra virgin olive oil. Pick, finely chop and sprinkle over the parsley, and serve alongside the salad.
Source: Jamie Oliver