- 4 lamb shanks , (roughly 400g each)
- 2 leeks
- 200 g pearl barley
- 1 heaped tablespoon umami paste
- 500 ml of your favourite ale
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/325ºF/gas 3.
- Place a large casserole pan on a high heat, and fry the lamb shanks in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, while you halve, wash and roughly chop the leeks.
- Add them to the pan with the pearl barley, umami paste and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then stir well.
- Pour in the ale and 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, then cover with 1.2 litres of water.
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until tender, then dish on up. Easy!
Source: Jamie Oliver