“You can’t go wrong with a good apple crumble recipe and this one, from School Dinners, has a lovely, golden oaty topping ”
- 400 g cooking apples
- 50 g caster sugar
- 35 g wholemeal flour
- 35 g rolled oats
- 35 g unsalted butter
- 20 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- Peel and core the apples, then quarter and cut in to chunks.
- Put the apples into a pan with the sugar and 1 tablespoon of water, then cook over a low heat for 5 minutes to soften slightly, stirring occasionally, then tip into a small ovenproof baking dish.
- Place the flour and oats in a bowl and mix well. Chop the butter into small cubes and add this to the oats and flour. Mix and rub in with your fingertips until it resembles an even crumb texture.
- Add the sugar and mix through, then cover the fruit with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Source: Jamie Oliver