“You’ll love this juicy, delicious Italian summer side salad recipe with roasted peppers ”
- 200 g stale or part-baked ciabatta bread
- 600 g ripe mixed tomatoes , roughly chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful small capers , soaked and drained
- 1 red onion , peeled, halved and very finely sliced
- 280 g roasted peppers in olive oil , drained and roughly chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets in olive oil , drained, optional
- good-quality red wine vinegar
- good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil , leaves picked
- You’ll love this juicy summer side dish.
- Tear the ciabatta into thumb-sized pieces, then pop them on a tray in a warm place to dry out a little.
- Put the tomatoes into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix together. Add the capers, onion, peppers, bread and anchovies, if using. Mix again with your hands to really get the flavours going.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and about 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Have a taste and add more salt, pepper, vinegar or oil if you think it’s needed.
- Tear the basil leaves over the salad, give it another good stir, and it’s ready to serve. Lovely on a hot summer’s day with barbecued meats or roast chicken.
- Tip: If you can’t get hold of ciabatta, any country-style bread will do.
Source: Jamie Oliver