“This wonderfully hearty seafood supper is packed with wintry flavours, perfect with mild, meaty cod. If you can’t get dried borlotti beans, just use the equivalent amount of tinned, drained beans. ”
- 400 g dried borlotti beans , or 1 x 400g tin of borlotti beans
- 2 red peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 250 g kale
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 200 g coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 15 thin slices jamón ibérico or prosciutto
- 900 g rectangular-shaped fillet of cod , skin off and pin-boned boned, from sustainable sources
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- If using dried, soaked borlotti beans, drain them in a colander and place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil over
a medium heat. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, until tender (skip this step if using tinned beans, as they’re already cooked.)
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas 7.
- Drain the beans in a colander, tip into a bowl and cover. Place the red peppers on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes, or until tender and the skins have blackened.
- Remove from the oven and place in a sealable bag. Shake for a bit, then leave for 5 minutes or until the bag is filled with steam. Tip the peppers onto a wooden board and remove the skins and seeds with your fingers or a knife. Roughly chop the peppers and place in a bowl; set aside. Lower the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves, pick and finely chop the parsley and roughly chop the kale.
- Using a pestle and mortar, pound the breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley and half of the paprika for a few minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of oil and season generously.
- Arrange the jamón slices on a large wooden board so that they overlap, then place your cod in the middle.
- Spoon the breadcrumb mixture along the length of the cod on each side, then fold the meat slices over the top, creating a log-shaped parcel. Tie up tightly with string, tucking a bay leaf under each knot.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled baking tin and drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the cod is cooked and the jamón is crisping up.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the borlotti beans, peppers and kale. Season and add the rest of the paprika. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes, then transfer to a platter.
- Place the cod parcel on top and serve immediately, cutting the cod into thick slices with a sharp knife.
Source: Jamie Oliver