- 50 g butter
- 8 lamb chump chops
- 3 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 large potatoes
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 150 g pearl barley
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat and brown the lamb chops, then remove to a plate.
- Peel and finely slice the onions and carrots, then add to the pan and soften for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add a wineglass of water and deglaze the pan for 5 minutes.
- Peel and slice the potato, then spread half in a layer in a large casserole dish and season well.
- Add a layer of onion and carrot, the lamb chops, thyme and bay leaves, then season again.
- Add the remaining onion and carrot and sprinkle the pearl barley on top. Layer over the remaining potato, the deglazed liquid and 500ml of water.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender and the potato starts to crisp up, then serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver