- 900 g shin of beef , bone out (ask your butcher for the bone)
- 500 g carrots
- 2 onions
- 120 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heaped teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/gas 3.
- Place a large shallow casserole pan on a high heat, with a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat alongside.
- Dice the beef into 5cm chunks and toss with a generous amount of black pepper and a pinch of sea salt, then dry fry in the hot frying pan with the bone for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and trim the carrots, chop into 5cm chunks, and place in the casserole pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Peel and quarter the onions and break apart into petals, straight into the pan, stirring regularly.
- When the meat is nicely coloured, tip it into the casserole pan, then stir in the Worcestershire sauce and mustard, and cover with 800ml of boiling kettle water.
- Cover, then cook in the oven for 4 hours, or until the beef is meltingly tender. Loosen with a splash of water, if needed. Taste, season to perfection, and serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver