“As long as you’ve got bread and a topping that takes your fancy, rustling up bruschetta is easy. ”
- 2 bulbs of leftover roasted fennel
- a few sprigs of fresh basil
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g Parmesan cheese
- 125 g buffalo mozzarella
- 1 clove of garlic
- Roughly slice the roasted fennel, pick and finely chop the basil, reserving a few baby leaves for garnish, and deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- Place a griddle pan on a high heat and toast the bread.
- Meanwhile, place the fennel in a bowl with the chopped basil leaves and most of the chilli. Squeeze in the lemon juice, add a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and a few shavings of Parmesan, then toss everything together. Have a quick taste and add a bit more lemon juice, salt or pepper, if needed.
- When the bread is nice and charred, halve the unpeeled garlic clove and rub the cut side all over both sides.
- Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, then top with a small handful of the fennel mixture.
- Tear the mozzarella into quarters and place one on each bruschetta, then top with some thin shavings of Parmesan, a few little sprinkles of chilli and the reserved basil.
Source: Jamie Oliver